These travel tips are geared toward solo female travelers. Men too!
8 Tips for Solo Female Travelers:
- Make sure you’re always watching your surroundings — Don’t wear headphones or walk with your head down.
- Keep your valuables like cameras, phones and purses close to your body — This is to deter opportunist thieves and make them feel like stealing from you might draw unwanted attention.
- Act confident — Obviously if you look sheepish, passive, or like you’re scared, criminals are going to see you as an easier target than a “butch” type who doesn’t take any guff. You might be wrong, but…
- Trust your gut instincts — “If it looks to good to be true, walk away.” and “If someone seems sketchy, best to avoid them.”
- Don’t share personal info with new people — Strange people asking if you’re single, on vacation, where you’re from, what you do for a living, etc. These could be innocent questions, but they could also be prying to see how isolated and/or wealthy you are, so they can assault/rob you.
- Avoid dark, isolated places at night — Or during the day for that matter!
- Dress Appropriately — Respect the culture and remember that you’re going to attract more duds than studs if you’re wearing a sexy two-piece at the beach. If you’re alone, this might present more of a hassle than it’s worth.
- Research the Country — For current and past scams to watch out for, places considered safe for solo female travelers, potential social problems that are breaking (unrest, wars, etc.), and travel alerts from http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html
Follow these great travel tips ladies. Stay safe!