Hotels aren’t just an expensive part of travel, they can isolate you from the local culture and limit your overall experience.
Here are 5 great alternatives that anyone can use for shelter while traveling instead of booking a suite at the local Best Western or Hyatt:
Here’s a rundown of Chad’s alternative crash pads:
- Privately Owned Accommodations: Stay at a local’s residence for a fraction of the cost of a hotel (see VRBO.com or Airbnb.com)
- Hostels: Great experience and not just for the 20 year olds of the world either! (see Hostels.com or Hostelbookers.com or Hostelworld.com)
- Friends or Friends of Family: Obviously, if you know someone or know somebody who knows somebody, somewhere you want to travel you can ask them to stay at their home and show you around.
- Couchsurfing: This is a great experience and you’re assured that the person you stay with is open and interested in sharing their country and its culture with you. So cool! (see Couchsurfing.org)
- Sleep in Your Car: This isn’t for the faint of heart and please make darned-tootin sure you understand the dangers that are present in the area you’re parking before you recline that seat back. Most anywhere in South America at night is one such country that comes to mind as a bad idea entirely. (this blog offers some great ideas: How to Sleep in Your Car)