Here’s a boatload of great tips you can use to make/save money while traveling abroad:
25 Great Cheap Travel Tips:
- House Swap: Hey, if you own a home but still want to travel, why not?
- House Sit: There are tons of housesitting opportunities all over. If you don’t find the one you want at this link, just Google “housesitting”.
- Volunteer: Again, there are tons of sites and resources for this.
- Rent: Rent out your property while on the road.
- Carpool: Download the carpool app to find carpooling opportunities in North America and Europe.
- Hitchhike: Hitchhiking is a normal form of travel in most places outside North America.
- Crew a yacht: If the ocean’s your thing, go for it.
- Work on a cruise ship: Tons of jobs like this, they usually want to run a background check, so keep that in mind if you have a sketchy past.
- Transport other people’s vehicles:
- Work at a hostel: You don’t need a work visa if you just work in exchange for your lodging and any meals that are supplied. Not all hostels will do this.
- Do some odd jobs: There’s always someone looking for a worker.
- Accept a challenge: Do something crazy for charity and find sponsors to fund your travels.
- WWOOF: Check out this link, if organic farming is in your field of interest. You give 4 – 6 hours of your time, in exchange for food and accommodations — and 18 – 20 hours of freedom in the country of choice!
- Avoid souvenirs: They can eat up your savings and may add to your luggage fees.
- Organize a group tour: Never heard of this one.
- Get a travel scholarship:
- Fly smart: Sacrifice your comfort and save.
- Enter a contest: Let me Google that for you!
- Couch surf: There are good and bad experiences to be had. Not for everyone but can make for a great experience.
- Eat smart: Don’t get crazy with the fast food.
- Tip smart: Not all countries appreciate tips, others only expect a fraction of what you might think’s required.
- Go with it: ????
- Travel slow: You don’t need to see everything all at once.
- Bring a tent: Tents are cheaper than hotels.
- Drive fast and take chances: ????
There were a couple that aren’t necessarily cost saving tips. But hey: most of them are spot on cheap travel tips.
Main image by Eric Parker